A single line was opened from Bristol to the Pier at New Passage in September 1863 it was open to the public including the ferry service. Intermediate stations were situated at Lawrence Hill, Stapleton Road, Filton, Patchway Pilning and on the land at the end of the Pier at New Passage. The Ferry ran from New Passage Pier across the river Severn to Portskewett Pier in Wales.
The Union Company was absorbed into the GWR in August 1868. The GWR was interested in a tunnel linking Bristol railway across to wales.
The railway from Bristol to Pilning would have been a ready made approach for such a project.
The Severn Tunnel was brought into use for passenger traffic in December 1886 so the New Passage Ferry and connecting services ceased.